Directions: After reading Chapter 2, answer at least two of the following questions on the US History blog (200 words minimum). In addition to these answers, comment on at least one post of another classmate by either agreeing or disagreeing with them and adding additional perspective (150 words min).
1. According to Zinn, what is the root of racism in America?
2. Why were Africans considered "better" slaves than Indians in Virginia?
3. Explain the argument being that starts, "If you were a colonist, you knew that your technology was superior to the Indians'...." and ends with, "But you still did not grow much corn."
4. How did 16th century Africa compare to 16th century Europe politically, economically, and socially?
5. How did slavery in Africa differ from slavery in Europe and the Americas?
6. Describe the conditions slaves on ships coming to the Americas faced.
7. What was the position of the Catholic Church in Portugal vis-à-vis slavery?
8. In terms of mortality, what was the cost of slavery?
9. What was the relationship between slavery and the plantation system?
10. Explain some instances when white servants and black slaves worked together.
11. What evidence exists that America’s slaves did not accept their fate easily? In other words, discuss some instances when slaves rebelled.
12. Why did slave owners fear poor whites?
(3 posts total)